*This page contains case studies of sexual exploitation of children — slightly graphic content.
Human Trafficking is the trade of humans, and it is going on this very moment. Every minute two children are sold into slavery. There are an estimated 27 million legitimate slaves in the world today. Southeast Asia is notorious for trading and selling women and children as if they were products to be used and discarded.
This is a report from CNN involving a personal friend in Thailand who runs Care Corner Orphanage where Matt has had the privilege to serve:
True stories from trafficking victims:
- Videos of a teacher having sex with his male students emerged online. The school officials simply transferred him. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1006769/suankularb-teacher-transferred-over-sex-clips-with-boys
- Sophie was found with cigarette burns all over her. Her captors would put out there cigarettes on her body when they were not pleased. It appeared that they were often displeased with her.
- When Ne was not good enough for the man who thought he owned her he would drag her around the bathroom floor and use her hair as if it was a mop.
- Jameen escaped from a brothel but was caught by corrupt police. They taped up her body, drug her through the streets, and helped the brothel owners beat her in front of the other girls.
- A 51-year-old Italian chef was arrested for the third time by the Thai police for child sexual exploitation. The offender was caught having sex with a 12-year-old boy. The man was arrested for the first time in 2002 for possessing child pornography. His second arrest came on 23 December 2008 while he was with a child under 13 years old in Pattaya.
- Keng, a 22 year-old Thai who had a sex change operation to become a woman, trafficked children from the Thailand countryside, Bangkok train stations and from Cambodia and forced them into prostitution, mainly for Western men. A 10-year-old boy she trafficked from Cambodia mentioned that he was forced to provide sexual services to various men. He used the money he earned to play computer games or buy speed to get him through the night. The trafficker was a trafficking victim herself.
- Robert Michael Scoble, an Australian, was arrested in Bangkok and charged with trafficking underage boys within Thailand for sex with foreign customers, organizing gay sex tours and illegal possession and dissemination of promotional pornographic material. An American suspected of working with him to organize the sex tours was also arrested and charged but his name was not revealed. The arrests were the result of a joint operation conducted by Thai immigration police, Thai tourism authorities, and the Australian Federal Police attached to the Embassy in Bangkok.
– http://ecpat.net/EI/Publications/Trafficking/Factsheet_Thailand.pdf – Love146.org *The names in the above accounts are fictitious for the sake of those involved
These websites will give you more information regarding Human Trafficking globally and locally.
“You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.”
~ William Wilberforce